3 Google Ads Case Studies for SaaS to get 6 figure $
We discuss Google Ads case studies for your SaaS with insights and examples from Google ads experts and SaaS founders.
Table of Contents
- Case Study 1: Helping a SaaS make $104,000 in 5 days with Google Ads
- Complete Account Audit
- Created Accurate Offline Conversion Tracking
- Google Ads Account Restructure
- Strategy Moving Forward
- Case Study 2: How to grow a Twitter Scheduling SaaS Tool with Google Ads
- What's our goal?
- What’s the ad spend
- Primary focus on growth
- Growth Campaigns Strategy
- Asset Protection Strategy
- LTV Enhancement Strategy
- Mixed retargeting campaigns
- Why will this work?
- Case Study 3: Google Ads campaign to scale a SaaS with 8.0 Return on Ad Spend
- Set Up A Sales Funnel
- Choose Your Keywords
- Choose Negative Keywords
- Brainstorm Angles
- Looking for more?
We have curated three Google Ads case studies for SaaS from experts that touched 6-figures!
Note: SaaSwrites is a curated growth marketing hub and resource built to help SaaS founders grow their products. We sincerely thank all our experts for their constant value addition to this world.
Updated on: 06/09/2022
Collin Schmelebeck shares how he made a SaaS client $104,000 in 5 days with only $1,900 ad spend.
I took over this account in mid-Feb
but due to complex business structure...
I wasn't able to fully lock in my campaigns until about 2 weeks ago
this company was vastly overspending on keywords & irrelevant search terms
here is how I fixed it:
- business offers and competitor analysis
- google property overhauls (Analytics/Tag/Ads)
With HubSpot, we were able to track the 6+ month sales funnel properly.
Then we attribute it directly to our campaigns
- poor planning leads to poor performance...this was the case here
- too many campaigns going after too many offers
- simplified the account from 15 campaigns to 3
- updated the ad copy to reflect keyword themes
- added 1000+ negative keywords w/ lists
- removed unprofitable keywords over the last 90-180 days (cross-referenced with attribution)
- bid very aggressively (CPCs $100-200) to get more demos in the door
- then allow their sales team to close deals
Collin shares what we would do to grow TweetHunter with Google Ads:
If I were running Google Ads for @TweetHunterIO
This is how I would grow them to be the largest tweet scheduling platform that exists.
Increase MRR to $100k/mo while becoming the most trusted tweet scheduler on the planet
How are they different?
Positioning & Performance
Tweet Hunter = growing your audience as fast as possible
- so you can accomplish our goal (clients/network/etc)
Let's say for the fun of it we have $20k/mo in ad spend
We need to allocate a portion of the budget for
- growth (75%): getting new trialers
- asset protection (5-10%): brand positioning
- LTV Enhancement (20-25%): prospect follow-up
let's break this down:
Can't get to $100k MRR if you don't grow subs (duh)
So we need to focus a majority of our spending on cold traffic
How do we convert tho?
1. Killer Positioning (already done)
2. Targeting & Relevance
3. Social Praise
- Search | Awareness Level
- top of funnel research queries
- Search | Intent Level
- bottom of funnel commercial queries
- Discovery/Display | Audience
- in-market or similar to customers
- Search/Display | Competitor
- low hanging fruit
Once other players in the space catch on to the disruptive force that is @TweetHunterIO
They're going to start coming after the brand name and customers
So what do we do?
- Search Brand
- focus on USP
- maintain product quality and messaging
Once we nail our targeting, free trials are going to be coming out the ass
naturally not everyone is gonna convert
some will never
a lot can be CONVINCED to come back as a paying sub
- For example
- they forget
- competitor trial
- how with Google?
Combine general & detailed retargeting
1. YouTube (Gen)
- all users (sales journey defines time length)
2. RSA x RLSA (Gen)
- be there when they're interested
3. Display/Discovery (Targ)
- keep messaging ONLY to each specific audience
Because of high AOV & LTV
Tweet Hunter starts at $29/mo and goes to $49/mo
They have a good amount of spend to acquire new customers (potentially even breakeven 1st month)
Jackson Blackledge shares how his clients are getting 8.0+ ROAS right now.
That means for every $1,000 they put in, they’re getting $8,000 out.
The key is using Google Ads for targeted lead generation.
Here’s how you can do the same:
Before we get into it, I should explain some basics.
First, these clients get recurring revenue from their offers.
For agencies, that’s a service.
For SaaS companies, it’s a software tool.
The math for a lot of them is something like this:
Cost per lead = $300
Close rate on calls = 30%
Cost of service or SaaS = $2000/mo
The aerage length of subscription = 4 months
With relatively low costs and an 8.0+ ROAS, that’s a lot of profit.
This is the basic process…
Your main website can work, but you probably want to set up a dedicated sales funnel.
This makes testing and optimizing way easier.
Choose a sales funnel software, write your copy, then build it.
Your keyword options are broad, modified broad, phrase match, and exact match.
Which one you choose (and the words you choose) will depend on your offer.
You can find them with Google's tool or with a 3rd-party option.
This is one a lot of people miss.
You don’t want to just target keywords.
You also want to avoid negative keywords.
This improves the quality of your traffic by excluding people who aren’t in your target audience.
Things you should write down:
- Who your ideal audience is
- What they want most
- What they don’t want most
- Their age, location, and income
- Why your offer works
- The proof you have for it working
This will get you ready to write your ads.
Create Your Search Ads
You want your search ads to:
- Be concise
- Focus on benefits
- Possibly highlight uniqueness
- Possibly highlight a results guarantee
There are a lot of angles and audiences to choose from.
Create multiple versions to test and optimize.
How to grow your SaaS with Google Ads? (2022)
How to select Google Ads Keywords?
How to grow your SaaS with Paid Ads? The Complete Guide (2022)
50+ Google Ads Expert Tips to Nail Your SaaS campaign (2022)